Safe drinking water is a basic necessity, and a continual water supply is required for daily activities. Frequently, municipalities do not provide sufficient water during the day. As a result, homeowners prefer to invest in a water tank for their property to ensure a constant water supply. A water storage tank collects and stores water to be used and accessed later. Residential water tanks and rooftop water tanks have grown increasingly significant since they enable people to get water 24 hours a day. Water tanks are also utilised as rainwater collecting tanks.
Plastic water tanks
In India, plastic water tanks are available in various capacities and configurations — underground or overhead. Plastic water tanks are obtainable in various sizes, including 500 litres, 1,000 litres, 5,000 litres, and up to 1,00,000 litres. They are often cylindrical, square, or rectangular.
Sintex water tank, RC Plasto, Lotus, Aquatech, Vectus, Jindal, Storewel, Sarita, Kaveri, Easy tanks, Neropure, Sheetal, Supreme, Penguin, and Selzer, are some of the water tank brands available in India.
Underground water tanks
Underground water storage tanks are underground tanks that are perfect for storing rainwater harvesting and municipal water. The underground water tank is often greater in size than the overhead tank.
Overhead water tanks
Overhead tanks are installed on the roofs of houses and apartments. These are popular because of their affordability and ease of installation. Above-ground water storage tanks can be visually inspected for leaks and are typically easier to access if repairs are required. With the above tanks, it is possible to have water even in the absence of electricity. Once the tank is filled, gravity force ensures that the required water pressure is maintained throughout the water system.
The best way to choose a plastic water tank:
A 500 to 600-litre water storage tank is sufficient for a small family, while a 700 to the 1,000-litre tank is recommended for a large family (depending on the size of the family). Additionally, tiny tanks with a capacity of between 100 and 300 litres are available.
Water storage tanks are available in a variety of shapes. Vertical water tanks are excellent for storing groundwater, but horizontal tanks are better for subsurface storage. Storage tanks come in various colours, including black, white, green beige, and more. Black and green tanks are preferable because they block UV radiation and inhibit the growth of pathogenic microorganisms.
Always opt for premium low linear density polyethene (LLDPE) and food-grade plastics. These are both safe and durable.
Numerous layers of plastic water storage tanks are available. Multiple layers shield the tanks from the sun’s UV radiation. The additional layers include a black centre layer and food-grade layers that ensure the container is safe to use for drinking water. Therefore, choose triple-layer tanks for optimum safety.
Always choose a reputable water tank supplier brand with a warranty.
Maintenance and cleaning tips for plastic water tanks:
- Ensure that the water storage tank is correctly sealed to prevent the entry of pollutants or garbage. Check for leaks in pipes regularly and have them repaired quickly.
- The location of the water affects its purity as well. Therefore, regardless of whether it is a single-family home or a multi-family complex, the water tank should be cleaned and disinfected at least twice a year to minimise water pollution and maintain health and cleanliness.
- To completely clean the tank, empty the stored water. Then, rather than wasting it, attempt to use it for some household activities.
- Clean the tank by scrubbing it to remove dirt and sediments. To remove deposits and microorganisms, either chlorine or liquid detergents can be used. After cleaning the tank, always leave the tap running for a few minutes to flush out the bad water.
- Suppose an individual cannot clean the tank on their own. In that case, it is preferable to contact professionals who will do high-pressure cleaning, such as vacuum cleaning, anti-bacterial spraying, and so on, and guarantee the tank is properly cleaned.