What is Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra? Why is it significant? Why does the best astrology website recommend people to recite the mantra? We will uncover all these questions in this blog, starting with reciting out the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for you.
Om Trayambakam Yajamahe, Sugandhim Pushti Vardhanam, Urvarukmiv Bandhanat, Mrityurmokshaya Mamratat.
The literal meaning of the Mantra
As per online astrology, the Mantra is divided into four parts, each containing eight syllables. However, it is important to understand the Mantra in order to develop faith in it. The individual words of the Mantra convey its nourishing quality.
Om– is a sacred/mystical syllable in Hinduism.
Tryambakam– The third eyed one
Yajamahe– We worship, adore, honour
Sugandhim– Sweet fragrance, the supreme being
Pusti– A well-nourished condition, thriving, prosperous, the fullness of life
Vardhanam– One who nourishes, strengthens, cause to increase (in health, wealth, well-being), who gladdens, exhilarates and restores health
Urvarukamiva – Like a cucumber or melon or like a big peach
Bandhanan– From bondage, from the stalk/stem
Mrtyormuksiya– Free, liberate from death
Maamrtat– immortality, nectar
Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is chanted to please Lord Shiva. Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra or Rudra Mantra is one of the most significant mantras in Indian tradition. The mantra has its place in the ancient holy books, Rig Veda and Shiv Purana.
Significance & Benefits of the Great Mantra
As per the astrology website, Shiva is the truth and Parameshwara (The Transcendent Lord). He is self-created or Swayambho. Above all, it is believed that it is easy to please Lord Shiva and he instantly delivers what his devotees ask from him with a pure heart. Chanting this mantra brings one closer to Shiva and helps in:
- Bringing peace and prosperity for the native.
- Helps in reviving the physical, mental and emotional health, hence it is also known as the moksha mantra.
- The Maha Mrityuntjaya Mantra helps in relieving one from dreaded and incurable ailments.
- It helps in extending one’s life and the prevention of premature death.
- Kundali dosha can also be cured if you recite this Mantra.
- It can help in resolving familial discord, division of property and marital stress.
- It creates a positive aura, which restricts the negativity.
- The Mantra removes fear and saves from challenges, impediments, and misfortunes.
- The mantra helps you to make the right decision when you are in a confused or challenging state.
I would like to share a personal experience to highlight the benefits of Maha Mrityunjay Mantra.
My grandmother has been a follower of Mahadev for decades aka as long as I have seen her from my childhood. A few years back, my uncle’s condition got very critical, as he was dealing with a 90% failure in the liver. The condition got critical, yet doctors were not ready to operate due to the money issue. All of us were worried, especially our grandmother.
However, my grandmother did not lose hope, and instead, she started Mahamritunjaya Mantra for seven days consistently. Priests too came over to her house and chanted the Mantra along with her for the betterment of his condition.
Everyone chanted the mantra in the house, and days after, we did not realise how the money got arranged, and his operation was successfully done.
My grandmother would always say to me that you may never see the God, but if you keep faith in him, you will always find him around.
How to chant the Mantra:-
- As per astrologers, the best time to chant the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is between 2-4 am but if you are unable to do it at that time, then you can do it after you take a bath in the morning.
- Once ready, perform the dhyana before commencing the mantra. Commence the mantra on a Shivaratri day or any maasa Shivaratri.
- Sit facing northeast on an aasan.
- Keep a Rudra yantra in front of you on a red square cloth.
- Then do Guru pooja and shiv pooja using unboiled milk, water, honey, camphor, rice, sandal and flowers.
- Take a Sankalp for the wish you wish to get fulfilled for you.
- Chant the mantra 125000 times within 21 days if you are propitiating this at home using rudraksha rosary.
- After the Japa daily, end it with Mangalarthi, mantra Pushanjali.