Ashwagandha is a medical herb known to the world which has ancient history. Throughout history it has been considered as an effective adaptogen which means that it can work to manage stress. The plant usually is found to grow in the Middle East, Africa and in India. In the Ayurvedic system of medicines the herb is considered to be one of the most important herbs. The roots and berries of ashwagandha are used as an ingredient in many medicines. The fruits, leaves and the seeds of the plant have been used in a number of treatments.
In the United States ashwagandha is sold even as a supplement.
There are a number of organic ashwagandha benefits for your body that you are yet to find out. In this article we will guide you about some of the benefits of the plant.
There are a number of reasons doctors prescribe ashwagandha for, namely bipolar disorder, arthritis, attention deficit, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, hyperactivity disorder etc.
Organic ashwagandha benefits
Some of the organic ashwagandha benefits are as follows:
- Anxiety- People with anxiety often use ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is said to have calming effects on the symptoms of anxiety. The herb has natural properties which works instrumentally to provide relief to the anxiety patients.
- Arthritis- Over the years ashwagandha has been considered as a natural pain reliever that can act on the nervous system to block any kind of pain signals. There are also a number of anti-inflammatory properties attached to ashwagandha.
- Cancer- A few studies have come up with research that the ashwagandha benefits can include stopping the growth of cells of cancer in some areas. Lung tumours can further be decreased in animals. Human cancers in kidneys, lungs, prostates and breasts can be further decreased by the ashwagandha.
- Treatment of Alzheimer’s- The African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines suggest that ashwagandha has the ability to prevent or rather slow down the Alzeimer’s disease in people. In diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkminson’s, Huntington’s the brain parts and the connecting parts of the brain tend to be damaged leading to loss of functions and memory.
- Heart health- When it comes to heart related diseases there are a number of benefits provided by ashwagandha. It is highly impactful in treating disorders such as high cholesterol, heart disease, chest pain as well as high blood pressure.
Along with the above mentioned advantages, organic ashwagandha benefits also include the components that increase the immune system. People with bipolar disorder can gain relief by taking ashwagandha extract for eight weeks at a stretch.This helps the overall functioning of the brain.
Even conditions like male infertility are also reduced by ashwagandha.
Side effects of ashwagandha.
Besides the organic ashwagandha benefits there are certain side effects of the plant as well. Pregnant women should not use ashwagandha since it can cause early delivery. The U.S Food and Drug Administration still has not regulated the manufacturers of the Ayurvedic herbs. This translates to the fact they are not in the same league with the food producers and pharmaceutical companies.
Ashwagandha is relatively safe in short term treatments when taken by mouth. There are doubts about the long term treatment of ashwagandha.
The term ashwagandha has been derived from the Sanskrit language. It is an amalgamation of the word ashva meaning horse and gandha meaning smell. There are several ailments for which the African people have been using ashwagandha since a long time. The exact dosage and the manner in which ashwagandha is used depends on the condition that you are trying to cure.