An indexed web page means a webpage which has been crawled and added to the Google database by Google bot. More than half of the total trackable traffic to websites comes from search engine result pages. A web page that is not stored on the database will miss out on all these potential visitors. You can easily check if your webpage is stored in the Google.
Why It Is Important For Ranking
A webpage that is not indexed is not present in the database of Google. Google uses its database for quick response to user’s query. Imagine if Google had to search the whole internet instead of just its own database each time a user submitted a query how slow that process would have been. Therefore Google continuously stores webpages on its database so that these can be quickly retrieved when needed. Use Google Index my site option to easily fetch your web pages in Google.
The implication of the above process is that if a webpage is not in the database it will not be considered when Google is answering a query even though that webpage is relevant to the query submitted by the user. Just getting your webpage in the database is not enough you should make sure it is done as soon as possible.
Quickly getting your website included in the search engine database is very important for ranking purposes. Various researches have pointed out that a vast majority of the top ranked pages have been in existence for quite a period of time. This presence of so many old pages and very few new ones in the top results of search engine result pages clearly shows that search engine does give a preference to old pages in ranking. In fact, some SEO experts consider the age of a webpage to be one of the parameters Google use for ranking.
Further, if you have posted new content on your webpage that is not yet stored on Google database there is a risk that another more popular website can copy your content and have it recognized by search engines before you can therefore when ultimately webpage containing that content on your website will be discovered by search engines it can be considered duplicate or scraped content. This clearly illustrates how having your webpage in search engine database early can help to protect your content.
Now that we know what this is and why it is important. Let’s have a look at how it is done and what can you do on your part to ensure search engine crawl your webpage.
Help Google in Finding Your Webpage
Even if you do nothing Google will automatically crawl your webpage. Even right now Google bots are busy crawling webpages and adding these in Google database. There is no specific time period within which a webpage will be discovered by search bot and there is no guarantee if that will even happen or not. Instead of waiting for the Google to crawl and store you should take some steps that can help in this process. Below is the list of such steps.
- You should create a sitemap of your website. A sitemap is created in XML and it tells the search engine crawler where it can find different pages on your website. If you have an existing website and have created a new webpage you should include a link to that webpage in the sitemap. This sitemap should be submitted to Google Search Console.
- Google and other search engines also provide the webmaster with the option of manual submission of links. Instead of waiting for the search engine bot to crawl your webpage manually submitting its link yourself can increase chances of its early inclusion in the database.
- Another measure you can take in this regard is to link your new webpage from your old webpages that are present in the Google database and are also ranked. Google crawler will follow the links on the already stored pages and in this way it will discover new pages on your website.
- You can also submit links to new web pages to online directories that will do a world of good to your link profile. In addition to people coming to your website from the organic search result, these type of directories can also drive traffic to your website.
- Guest blogging is also something that helps in this regard. You can post articles on other websites as a guest blogger and include links to your newly created webpages. This technique is very effective for our purpose and also have a positive effect on search ranking as you get more inbound links to your website due to guest blogging.
- If you have profiles on social media website you can spread links to your new webpages using your account on these websites. Sharing of links on social media can also drive traffic to your website and ensure crawling.
- RSS or Rich Site Summary contains an easily readable summary of updates made to a website. If your website has this feature it can also be beneficial in getting search engine crawlers to discover new pages on your website.
- Google recommends using the robot.txt to communicate to the bot if you don’t want Google to crawl certain portion of your website. This can lower the crawl budget which can be spent on crawling newly created webpages on your website.
- Keeping the links on your webpages to a minimum can also help in managing crawl budget.
Getting your website indexed is extremely important if you want your website to be successful. Although Google automatically crawls the web and add pages to its database still you should not stay passive and wait for the google bot to add your website. You should take every such step that can increase the chances of quick discovery of your webpage by search engine spiders.