Religion, it is a term difficult to express in words. Religion may mean different things to different people. To put it in a simple language, it can be described as a set of rules, practices, beliefs, and way to lead a life as prescribed in various religious books.
There are numerous religions present all over the world followed by people. 80% of the world population follows one of these five religions:
- Christianity – 31% of the total population – 2.2 billion
- Islam – 20% of the total population – 2 billion
- Hinduism – 15% – 16% of the total population – 0.9 billion
- Buddhism – 9% – 10% of total population – 0.55 billion
Each of these religions has their different styles of worship, rituals, customs, etc. and is famous in different parts of the world.. While, Christianity is popular across US, UK, and other countries, Islam prevails most over the Middle East and some parts of India. Hinduism and Buddhism are mostly followed across India, Nepal and other nearby countries.
There are various fascinating facts about the philosophy and lifestyles preached by each of them. Let us have a look at the facts surrounded by Christianity as it is by far the most followed religion of the world.
- The religious book of Christianity faith is called the (Holy) ‘Bible’
- Bible is followed by a religious book by Jews as well.
- Bible is also referred to as The Old Testament and The New Testament.
- The Old Testament is the first half of the Bible, consisting of 39 chapters.
- The New Testament is the second half of the Bible.
- It is believed that Jesus, the Son of God, was sent to earth to help people relieve them of their sins as mentioned in the Bible.
- Jesus was born of Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph.
- He was conceived by Mary as a blessing from the God and hence she is known as Virgin (Mother) Mary.
- (Saint) Joseph was a commoner who is mentioned to be a carpenter by profession.
- Jesus was born at midnight on Dec 25. This day is known as Christmas.
- Christmas is the biggest religious celebration for Christians celebrated every year by attending midnight mass in churches and sharing gifts with loved ones.
- Jesus is also known by other names such as Messiah (the savior) and Christ.
- The timeline of history before the birth of Jesus is referred to as BC (Before birth) and AD (After birth).
- People following Christianity are known as Christians.
- The place of worship for Christianity is known as Church. The others are known as chapels or cathedral.
- The biggest church in the world is Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro located at the Ivory Coast.
- There are various holy days followed in Christianity like Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Holy Thursday, and Easter etc.
- Christians also have feasts (a day of remembrance) for various saints like St. Patrick’s Day, St. Joseph’s, etc.
- Christianity preaches to abstain from sins like pride, anger, laziness, jealousy, gluttony, greediness, lust and envy. These sins are collectively known as the 7 deadly sins
You can read about more fascinating facts and beliefs of Christianity by looking for top 100 Christian blogs on the internet.